Sunday, February 5, 2012

Emergency Bathroom Memories!

With all the work on the Harris street bathroom, I thought I dig up my pictures from the emergency renovation that I made to the bathroom in my Wellington Street house five years ago.

I been living in the house for a little over 5 years, and had allowed myself some willful blindness about the potential problems in the bathroom.  I had assumed that the framing in the shower was made of wood and was coated in naval paint.

It was actually pre-painted MDF, and had been soaking up water all those years.  A quick fix for the previous owners who had flipped the house to me, which turned into a nightmare for me when I finally investigated why the window framing was swelling...

Water seeped in below...


Water got in behind the tiles...

And below that horrible frame.

So I pulled down the tiles, and inspected the damage.  Then fell over:  I'm quite allergic to black mold as it turns out :(  After a quick recovery the "dry"wall, vapor barrier and other mold infested materials were removed and they were replaced with stone board and other non-permeable materials

Out with the old...

In with the new.


I managed to dig up subway tile that matched the original tile locally, and I was even able to get a nice bull nosed tile to finish a waterproof frame for the bathroom window.  Overall, not bad for an emergency repair.

Subway tile going in...

Window framed in ...

Complete!

Despite the rushed nature of the repair, it's held up well over the years.  I wish I had had the time to tear everything out and start again, but it has lasted well enough that a full replacement has been pushed out well past the kitchen renovations.

1 comment: